Lentils and Time: Quick Lentil Stew with a Hint of Cinnamon

It's important to get back to eating legumes. The ones that come already cooked are a good solution for when we don't have time to make them the, let's say, "traditional" way.

A few years ago I used to make them once a week, and I don't know why I stopped.

Lately it seems the 24 hours in a day (night included) don't stretch as far as they used to. I think we have to fight against this. I assure you there is time, although you need to manage it well to get more things done. With good management everything works better, and time couldn't be an exception to that rule.

Back to the lentils. Lately I've been making them starting from a jar of cooked lentils, in my case a 500 g jar from Àrea de Guissona (ideal for 4 servings), which I especially like. I sauté some vegetables (onion, carrot, courgette and green beans), all cut very finely, let's say en brunoise. At the last minute I also add a very finely chopped apple, which ends up disappearing, and a little serrano ham. Then I add the jar of lentils, plus a little water or chicken stock. I let everything cook for 20-30 minutes, stirring and adding a little more water or stock if needed, and the result is excellent lentils.

The trick I've added recently is half a teaspoon of ground cinnamon. I saw it in an Asian film (I can't remember which one), and it gives an extra touch, an aroma that goes very well with the vegetables.

So there you have it: proof that you can make lentils even when you're short on time, and that you can innovate a little in how you prepare them, too. And while we're at it, this post's dose of common sense: the expression "I don't have time" is wrong. We all have the same amount of time, 24 hours every day, but some people, by managing it well, manage to do more things than others.


🌐 Llegeix aquesta recepta en català

Comentaris