Melted Provolone (Provoleta) in the Microwave with Herbs and Serrano Ham
One of my weak points as a cooking enthusiast — what for Achilles (the swift-footed one) was his heel — is cheese.
As a child I didn't like any kind of cheese. Now I like some — quite a few, I'd say (I've become quite the grown-up). I started with the mildest ones, like Burgos, Tronchón and mozzarella; then I fell in love with Parmigiano Reggiano and Grana Padano, brilliant with their fruity notes. I also like Emmental in some dishes, Galician Tetilla, Provolone and Italian scamorza — smoked scamorza above all is a delight.
I know I'm missing out on an important part of gastronomy, but I can't handle very strong cheeses. Above all, I'm incapable of eating blue cheese: Cabrales, Gorgonzola, Roquefort or Stilton — I wouldn't eat them for anything.
I remember that when I lived in Italy with the woman who is now my wife, I went to Barcelona for a few days and she stayed in Milan. As a token of affection, before leaving I bought a piece of Gorgonzola (she loves it) and put it in the fridge with a note saying "please finish it before I get back". We lived in a tiny 30-square-metre flat, and my nose wouldn't have survived the smell of that cheese spreading from the fridge across the whole apartment.
The reason for this post is that on Wednesday I bought and ate one of the cheeses I do like: Provolone. Although it originates from southern Italy, it's now mainly produced in the north, in Lombardy (Milan) and Veneto (Venice). Provolone melts very well, and one of the typical dishes is a melted slice of it with some herbs and a little oil on top — very good and very mild.
Argentinians (and Uruguayans) also eat a version of provolone, which they call provoleta. It couldn't be otherwise: Argentinians are the Italians of South America. They eat it grilled (of course). In fact I bought my provolone-provoleta at an Argentine butcher's and food shop on Plaça Letamendi in Barcelona. It's sold already sliced into rounds about 15 cm across and one centimetre thick.
After searching online for the best and quickest way to make provoleta, I first ruled out the grill (for obvious reasons), then the oven (I was in a hurry) and then the frying pan (cleaning it afterwards...), and I went for the microwave. I put it in for 1 minute 20 seconds at full power, with herbes de Provence on top and a drizzle of oil, and it came out great. After taking it out, I added a little raw tomato and some serrano ham. See the photo.
Here's a simple dish that will surprise your guests, ready in just 10 minutes. Every day I'm more convinced that cooking isn't a matter of time; it's a matter of wanting to and a bit of imagination. Here I hope to give you a few ideas.

Comentaris
Publica un comentari a l'entrada