Sant Jordi Lunch: 10-Minute Snow Pea Rice with Salmon

Snow pea fried rice with salmon and a rose
There's no better day than Sant Jordi (St George's Day, when Catalans exchange books and roses). Today, despite the weather forecast, which predicted rain, we had an excellent day.

On Fridays I have lunch at home at 15:30 and then go and pick the kids up from school. It's a lunch I have to make quickly, as I'm hungry and school won't wait, but I like it and especially enjoy it.

Today I had some snow peas in the fridge, a boneless salmon loin in the freezer and, in the pantry, one-minute microwave rice.

I cut the snow peas the way my teacher Toshiko taught me, on the diagonal, to increase the exposed surface and so make them cook quickly. I sautéed them in very hot oil for 3 minutes, then added the rice, already cooked (1 minute in the microwave), stir-fried everything together for 1 minute, added a splash of soy sauce and a pinch of ground ginger, and the rice was ready. Meanwhile I had also defrosted the salmon in the microwave on low power, and I ate it almost raw.

Total time: 10 minutes to make lunch and 3 more for the photo with the rose in the background; by 15:45 I was eating.

I enjoyed a very special Sant Jordi Friday lunch. Afterwards at school the kids chose their book, then a walk and home — a perfect day.

Happy Sant Jordi, everyone.

🌐 Llegeix aquesta recepta en català

Comentaris