Rice Paper: a Very Interesting Ingredient (Prawn and Coconut Rolls)

On my last visit to an Asian supermarket (there are already several in Barcelona), I couldn't resist picking up some rice wafers, or rice paper: thin, almost transparent sheets.

Serves: 4 servings (8 rolls)  ·  Prep time: 20 min  ·  Cook time: 10 min  ·  Difficulty: Medium

Working with them isn't easy, because as soon as you dip them in hot water they become very sticky and soft, which makes them hard to handle. It seems it's better if the water isn't so hot, and then to finish cooking the wrappers in the steamer, once the little parcels or rolls are made.

The aim was to make something with these wafers, so I made a stir-fry of some prawns I had in the freezer with coconut milk and a little of the Nomu Asian spice blend, and that's what I used as the filling.

They were tasty, but since I had trouble folding them properly, they didn't turn out very pretty. I need more practice; I'll keep you posted (I still have loads of wafers left).

Tips and frequently asked questions

How do I stop the rice paper sticking?
Dip each sheet in warm, not hot, water for just a few seconds; it will keep softening on the board. Work on a damp cloth or wooden board.

Why do they tear?
Usually because the sheet is too wet or overfilled. Use about two tablespoons of filling and roll tightly but gently.

Can I prepare them in advance?
A couple of hours at most, covered with a damp cloth so they don't dry out. Steam them just before serving.

What dipping sauce goes well?
Sweet chilli sauce, or soy sauce with a little lime juice and grated ginger.

🌐 Llegeix aquesta recepta en català

Comentaris