Tender Wheat: How to Use It (with Sautéed Vegetables)

I love tender wheat, the kind you can easily find in supermarkets (in Barcelona, at least, it's the Nomen brand).

Serves: 2 servings  ·  Prep time: 10 min  ·  Cook time: 15 min  ·  Difficulty: Easy

I'd say it's a 10/10 product: it's easy to prepare, it goes with lots of dishes, and it cooks in just 10 minutes, which is exactly why it gets a 10.

For those of you who have never used it, tender wheat tastes like pasta and looks like rice. I make it with vegetables, and the result is a really delicious dish.

The method is very simple. In a frying pan with a little oil, sauté half a spring onion, a carrot, a courgette (zucchini) and half an apple, in that order. Then add 150 g of tender wheat, previously boiled for about 10 minutes following the manufacturer's instructions. Give it a few stirs and you have a tasty, very healthy dish. I recommend it! The Nomen brand's product website has a few more recipes.

Tips and frequently asked questions

What is tender wheat?
Pre-cooked durum wheat grains. It tastes like pasta, looks like rice and is ready in about 10 minutes, so it is a very handy alternative to rice or couscous.

Can I use other vegetables?
Of course. Peppers, mushrooms, aubergine or leeks all work well. Keep the apple: it adds a subtle sweet note that makes the dish special.

Can I eat it cold?
Yes. Tender wheat with sautéed vegetables makes a great base for a salad or a lunchbox, and it keeps for 2–3 days in the fridge.

Is it gluten-free?
No. It is wheat, so it contains gluten and is not suitable for people with coeliac disease.

🌐 Llegeix aquesta recepta en català

Comentaris