Roasted Red Pepper Vichyssoise
It had been a long time since I made roasted red pepper vichyssoise. I really wanted to make it and enjoy it again; it's fantastic.
- 7 red tomatoes
- 100 g sugar
- 1 kg red peppers
- 125 ml olive oil
- 25 ml sherry vinegar
- 1/2 l water
- 125 ml single (liquid) cream
- salt and pepper
Method:
First, roast the peppers in the oven (much better if you can roast them on a barbecue or similar, although they turn out very well in the oven). Brush them with oil and roast in a hot oven at 180ºC for 20-30 minutes, depending on the oven, the peppers, etc., so keep an eye on them. When they're done, the skin comes off easily.
Meanwhile, cut the tomatoes in half and place them on a baking tray. Season them with sugar on top, black pepper and a drizzle of oil. Let them confit in the oven at about 100ºC for an hour or an hour and a half; in my case, I turned the oven up to 150ºC at the end because after an hour they were still the same.
Next, peel the peppers and cut them into strips.
Then blend them together with the confit tomatoes, the cream and the water. At home I used the Thermomix, which gave me a very smooth cream; after adjusting the salt, I passed it through a chinois (fine sieve) to remove the tomato skins and any remaining pepper skin, and chilled it in the fridge for at least an hour.
Finally, add the vinegar and oil and stir well.
To decorate, I drew a little pattern with some cream; you can also add some fried bread croutons, or a thousand other things.
Tips and frequently asked questions
Can I roast the peppers on the barbecue?
Yes, and it is even better: they take on a smoky flavour. Let them sweat in a covered bowl for a few minutes and the skin will come off easily.
Why confit the tomatoes?
Slow cooking with sugar concentrates their sweetness and removes water, so the cream is thicker and tastier. If they are still firm after an hour, turn the oven up to 150ºC.
Do I really need to strain it?
It is optional, but passing it through a fine sieve removes the skins and gives a silky, restaurant-style texture.
Is it served hot or cold?
Cold, like a classic vichyssoise. It keeps for two days in the fridge; stir it before serving.

Comentaris
Publica un comentari a l'entrada