Steak Tartare: Santi Santamaria's Recipe

Steak tartare

When I see steak tartare on the menu of a restaurant I trust, I can't help ordering it. It's one of the dishes I enjoy eating most.

In last Sunday's La Vanguardia magazine, Santi Santamaria gave a recipe in his column for Galician ox tartare. I take it that even if the ox is from Barcelona, northern Córdoba or Ribera del Duero, it'll work just as well.

As I always say, I like to keep useful recipes close at hand, and there's nowhere I have them closer than on this blog of ours.

With the permission of Santi Santamaria — the first three-Michelin-star chef in Catalonia and owner of, among others, the restaurant Can Fabes — here is his recipe (or one of his recipes) for steak tartare. As I said, the reason is to always have it at hand.

Galician ox tartare

Ingredients for 4 people

  • 600 g ox entrecôte
  • 1 spring onion
  • 1 egg yolk
  • 1 dessert spoon of mustard
  • 6 tablespoons of virgin olive oil
  • 1 drop of Tabasco
  • 1 tablespoon of Lea & Perrins (Worcestershire) sauce
  • 2 small shallots
  • 1 tablespoon of chopped chives
  • 1 tablespoon of chopped parsley
  • 1 tablespoon of capers
  • Black pepper
  • Salt

Method

Slice the spring onion finely and soak it in iced water. Chop the beef by hand with a knife.

In a bowl, whisk the egg, oil, Worcestershire sauce and Tabasco, then add the chopped shallots, chives, salt and black pepper. Add the meat to this emulsion, mix well and check the seasoning.

Adjust the salt and heat (pepper and Tabasco). Shape the meat in ring moulds and top with the drained spring onion, dressed with salt and olive oil.

Serve with thin toast or perfectly salted chips. Serve cold.

The photo with this post is by Kevin Taylor, of the restaurant of the same name. I couldn't find a better photo of steak tartare. It's a slightly deconstructed version.

🌐 Llegeix aquesta recepta en català

Comentaris