Trofiette, a lesser-known pasta

Trofiette pasta with fresh tomato

A while ago I wrote here about a delicatessen I liked called Goulaffres, on Carrer Londres in Barcelona, at number 103 to be exact. Besides selling delicious things, it had a little space where you could have a bite to eat.

That shop has now closed and, popping up like a mushroom, another one has already opened in the very same spot.

Yesterday I went into the new shop. It's called "Il Magazzino" and it sells only Italian specialities: pasta, pestos, oils, vinegars, cheeses, cured meats, sweets and a few wines, though not many.

I ended up buying five-flavour trofiette, a type of pasta (see the photo); a little Coppa Piacentina, a cured meat somewhat like salami; some Grissini al pomodoro, breadsticks with sun-dried tomato, which were extraordinary, really good and packed with flavour; and two cheeses: a tiny scamorza affumicata, a smoked cheese I loved when I lived in Italy, and a burratina, a speciality from Puglia, similar to mozzarella. Puglia is the region right at the tip of the heel of the Italian boot. Burratina, as I was saying, is like a mozzarella filled with cream, and it's delicious. These five things came to 19 euros; it's hard to find something that is both good and cheap.

This Saturday I was on my own for lunch, so I cooked the trofiette in a simple way, so that they would stay the star of the dish.

In a frying pan with cold oil I put two very finely chopped garlic cloves (with the green germ removed). Once they were cooked (careful not to burn them), I added the peeled, chopped tomato together with the already cooked pasta, stirred it a couple of times, added a little salt and pepper, and that was it. The tomato doesn't end up like a fried tomato sauce; it stays fresh and natural. To peel the tomato, after washing it well, I dipped it for half a minute in the same water the pasta was boiling in, took it out and put it straight into cold water, which made it quick and easy to peel.

The pasta was excellent.

🌐 Llegeix aquesta recepta en català

Comentaris