The Best Lentils in the World

The other day a friend asked me whether on the blog I write more about traditional cooking or more experimental cooking, and I told her a bit of everything, and that it also goes in phases. So after a few spherifications, it's time for some good lentils.

The best lentils in the world are, without a doubt, my mother's. She usually makes them with vegetables only, and you'll ask how they can be so good with just vegetables. Well, they are: a thousand flavours and 20,000 nuances, truly delicious, a 10.

My lentils aren't bad at all; they'll surely be the best for my children, although right now they're not exactly their favourite dish. As my younger son says, "Dad, I don't like them but I eat them", followed by "what's for dessert?"

I also make them with vegetables only, but this time, to give them a bit more flavour, I added a little fuet (Catalan dry sausage), cut very small, and the result was extraordinary, although it didn't beat the original.

For me the key is to fry the vegetables well, the onion almost caramelised, and to add as many vegetables as possible: carrot is a must, green beans, courgette; pumpkin also works very well, and sometimes I bring out the sweetness of the lentils by adding a little apple. Then cold water, the lentils, an unpeeled garlic clove, a little bay leaf, and simmer gently for as long as needed depending on the type of lentil.

If you add a little love to these ingredients and keep tasting as you go, I'm sure you'll soon be making the best lentils in the world, at least for your loved ones.

🌐 Llegeix aquesta recepta en català

Comentaris