Caramelized Onion Omelette (with Quick Port Onion Confit)

Caramelized onion omelette

Almost two weeks ago, my father-in-law gave me a pile of spring onions from his vegetable patch — probably too many for what we normally eat.

To use them up I decided to make onion confit (a kind of onion jam), and I've used it to accompany several dishes.

I love it with a cod loin, for the sweet and salty contrast, but it goes with lots of dishes.

Today I "invented" an onion confit omelette. To avoid confusion, and borrowing from mathematics, we should write it as omelette of (onion confit), which would be very different from a confit of (onion omelette).

The real onion confit recipe has no sugar: the sweetness comes from the onion's own sugar, by keeping it on the heat for a very long time, stirring a lot, over a very low heat so it doesn't burn.

To make onion confit more quickly and easily, I add a little sugar and also a little Port, which gives it a lovely colour. Onion confit keeps well in the fridge for at least a week. To make it, just slice the onion finely, put a little oil in a frying pan and fry it over a very, very low heat for a good while, stirring often so it doesn't burn or stick. With a spoonful of sugar per onion, instead of 30–40 minutes it can be done in about 10–15. Add the Port at the end, when it's already quite dry: it will help stop it burning and give it a lovely colour and aroma. It's ready when the Port has evaporated — don't wait for it to get too dry.

The omelette is no more complicated than adding onion confit to some well-beaten eggs and making an omelette by the book.

I won't explain here how to make an omelette. If you don't know how, I recommend you make a paella like Belisari's, which never fails (the paella of the DAY, that is).

It was an experiment that turned out very well (the omelette).

For Belisari's many fans (all 3 of them), here are some more of his posts, for a laugh and to learn something: one about the court of Versailles, another about the "Llibre de Sent Soví" (a medieval Catalan cookbook) and a third about El Bierzo.

Cheers!

🌐 Llegeix aquesta recepta en català

Comentaris