Cream Spherification with Chocolate

Today I'm sharing a new spherification with you.

This time it's a reverse spherification of cream, which I used to make this rather special chocolate with cream.

To make the spherification, you can follow the steps of the yogurt one I made, simply swapping the yogurt for cream.

Since cream already contains calcium, you don't need to add calcium (calcic) for the spherification: you just drop the cream into the alginate bath.

That's why it's called "reverse": in what we could call a "normal" spherification, the calcium goes into the water bath, in the form of calcic, and the alginate is mixed into the product you want to spherify.

To give the cream a bit of body, I warmed it slightly and added a little gelatine (one sheet per half litre of cream), then let it cool down and stirred it a little.

When I came up with this dish, the idea was that you get to choose the moment to mix the chocolate with the cream: you decide when to do it, and even whether you want to do it at all.

I've been talking about presentation lately; in this case you can bring it to the table with just the sphere of cream (photo above) and then a jug of hot chocolate, and finish the dish right there at the table.

The little line on top of the cream sphere is cinnamon. It's basically just for looks — which, in the end, is what the whole spherification thing is about.

🌐 Llegeix aquesta recepta en català

Comentaris