Cream of Calçots: a Creamy Soup for Calçot Season

Calçots cream soup

Last Sunday I had my brothers and sisters and their families round for lunch. I'd promised them something unusual: ever since I've had this blog of ours, people expect a lot more when they come to eat at my place.

On Saturday, as I was getting ready to go shopping, some friends called to say they were going out to eat calçots on Sunday. That's when I decided to make the dish I'm suggesting today: a cream of calçots.

For the main course I made a marinated sardine salad — delicious — a recipe I'll publish soon. It's a dish I really like, but I hadn't put it on the blog before because I wrote it up a while ago for someone, and I've asked them to send me back the recipe I sent them, because I can't be bothered to write it all out again.

Calçots cream soup

Ingredients

  • 24 roasted calçots (Catalan spring onions)
  • 300 g boiled potato
  • 300 ml cream
  • 3 tablespoons olive oil
  • Romesco sauce

Method

Blend all the ingredients except the romesco thoroughly with a hand blender (if you use a Thermomix you'll get a great texture), then taste and adjust the salt.

Once it's in the bowl, decorate with romesco sauce, which is what always goes with calçots.

To get the authentic flavour of calçots roasted over embers, I bought them ready-made from a delicatessen near my home. If you make them yourself in the oven they're good too, but they lack that special aroma of things cooked over a fire.

🌐 Llegeix aquesta recepta en català

Comentaris