Homemade Potato Gnocchi with Butter and Sage

Potato gnocchi and potato ricer

When I lived in Italy, I made gnocchi myself a few times.

In fact I even had a schiacciapatate (potato ricer), the gadget you can see in the photo.

Lately I always buy Giovanni Rana's, which are pretty good, but it's worth making them yourself from time to time.

Potato gnocchi

Ingredients (for 4 people)

  • 450 g flour
  • 1.5 kg potatoes
  • 2 eggs
  • Salt

Method

First, cook the potatoes in plenty of salted water. Take them off the heat, peel them and pass them through the schiacciapatate, or potato ricer (see the image with this post), or mash them well with a fork. I had a professional schiacciapatate when I lived in Italy, but it got lost in the move.

Add the sifted flour, the salt and the eggs, and work the mixture well until it's fully combined.

With the resulting dough, roll "sausages" about a finger thick, then cut them into pieces about 2 cm long. Italians then give them a pattern by rolling each gnocchi (strictly, the singular is gnocco, but you know what I mean) over the back of a fork. Watching an Italian lady of a certain age do it is spectacular.

Cook the gnocchi in plenty of boiling salted water and, as they rise to the surface, carefully lift them out into a colander so they drain all the cooking water.

To dress them you can use many of the sauces used with pasta — pesto, four cheeses, puttanesca, bolognese, etc. — but I like them just with butter and sage. Delicious.

🌐 Llegeix aquesta recepta en català

Comentaris