Persimmon and Ham Salad: Melon and Ham, Reinvented

Persimmon and ham salad

Today, a salad of Persimon kaki (persimmon) with very thinly sliced ham — something like an updated melon and ham, using this variety of persimmon. I've told you about this type of persimmon before; it's very common in the Ribera Alta area of Valencia, in towns such as l'Alcúdia.

Serves: 1 serving  ·  Prep time: 5 min  ·  Cook time: 0 min  ·  Difficulty: Easy

Well, today at dinner time I was on my own and not very hungry, so I made myself a persimmon with finely sliced ham. It was an easy decision to make this dish — or rather, to put it together, because there wasn't much actual cooking. Peel and slice the persimmon, add the ham and drizzle with a little extra virgin olive oil.

I recommend you try it: easy, pretty and original. In the end it's just melon and ham reinterpreted.

Tips and frequently asked questions

Which persimmon should I use?
The firm "Persimon" variety from the Ribera Alta in Valencia, which you can slice like an apple. Soft, very ripe persimmons are too juicy for this.

Which ham is best?
A good cured ham, Iberian or serrano, sliced very thinly.

Can I add anything else?
A few rocket leaves, some toasted walnuts or a little goat's cheese turn it into a more complete salad.

When is it in season?
From October to December, which makes it a perfect autumn starter.

🌐 Llegeix aquesta recepta en català

Comentaris