Coffee Marshmallows (Thermomix Recipe)
I think it's quite common in many offices in Barcelona, and I suppose elsewhere too, that when someone celebrates their birthday they bring something to eat to share with their colleagues.
At my company, at least a couple of times a week we have something extra at lunchtime. There are real cake masters, and some who rely on the bakery (pay attention to the products used) — in fact, it takes all sorts.
My birthday is in August — in fact I seem to be having more and more of them, or at least that's my impression. On 2 August to be exact, two days and a few years before Zapatero and Obama, who were both born on 4 August. I'm usually on holiday in August, so I never bring anything.
Today I tried an experiment, based on a recipe I saw on the blog Webos Fritos. Tomorrow I'll take it to work — I'll make up some occasion.
Anyway, I've made Coffee Marshmallows. Juan Luis Guerra's song “Ojalá que llueva café” comes to mind; it's late, I'm sleepy and I have a bit of a cold, so forgive me for rambling.
Here's the recipe.
Ingredients
- 3 sachets (10 g each) of unflavoured powdered gelatine
- 200 ml water
- 300 g sugar
- Icing sugar or cornflour
- 3 tablespoons Nescafé (instant coffee)
Put the gelatine, water, Nescafé and sugar in the Thermomix bowl. Set 10 minutes at 100 °C, speed 2. After the 10 minutes, let the mixture cool in the bowl for a couple of hours.
Once cool and half set, set 6 minutes at speed 5½.
Line a rectangular tin of about 15 x 23 cm with cling film. Dust it with icing sugar and pour in the whipped gelatine. Leave at room temperature for about 12 hours. After that, turn the gelatine out onto a board and, with a large, very sharp knife, cut it decisively into strips and then into rectangles.
Coat them in icing sugar or, if you like them a little less sweet, coat them in cornflour — the effect is the same.
I've already eaten the ugliest ones, and they're very good. 100% sweet-shop texture. They turned out very well; I need to improve my cutting technique a little so they look a bit prettier.
Tips and frequently asked questions
Can I make them without a Thermomix?
Yes: dissolve the gelatine, sugar and coffee in the water over low heat, let it cool until half set, then whisk with an electric mixer for 8–10 minutes until thick and white.
How do I cut them cleanly?
Use a large, very sharp knife dusted with icing sugar or cornflour, and cut decisively in one go.
Icing sugar or cornflour?
Icing sugar gives a sweeter coating; cornflour has the same non-stick effect with less sweetness. A half-and-half mix works well.
How do I store them?
In an airtight container at room temperature, with a little extra coating, for up to a week.

Comentaris
Publica un comentari a l'entrada