Tocinillo de Cielo: Spanish Egg Yolk Flan
I have some cookbooks at home that I can't remember where they came from. Among them is 'El arte de la cocina española' by Alicia Ríos and Lourdes March, in the edition sponsored by BBVA. The design is a bit off-putting and the photos could be better, but there are many traditional recipes that are surely worth it (worth putting up with the book's design and photos).
Among them, I want to bring here, to always have it at hand, the recipe for 'Tocinillos de Cielo' (literally 'little bacon from heaven'), which I've seen can be called 'Flamets' in Catalan.
Besides the recipe, the book also tells a little of its history. It seems this sweet treat comes from the Jerez area, where large quantities of beaten egg whites were used to clarify the region's wines. With the leftover yolks, the nuns invented this fantastic dessert. Without further ado, the recipe.
Ingredients (serves 6-8)
Preheat the oven to 150ºC.
Pour the mixture into the mould(s), cover with aluminium foil and cook in a water bath in a gentle oven (150ºC) for about 30 minutes.
After that time, check whether it's cooked by pricking it with a thick needle, which should come out clean. All that's left is to let it cool, unmould and serve.

Comentaris
Publica un comentari a l'entrada