Mazamorra: Cold Almond Soup, a Thicker Cousin of Ajoblanco


I saw this recipe on El Comidista. I'm copying it here to have it at hand, which is the founding idea of our blog: having recipes at hand.

Mazamorra, cold almond and bread soup similar to ajoblanco

I made ajoblanco this summer after a long time without making it. It's a great dish, so I'll make this 'version', Mazamorra.

The photo with this post is of an ajoblanco I made at least 15 years ago; I understand mazamorra should be much thicker.

To understand the dish, you could say that Mazamorra is to Ajoblanco what Salmorejo is to Gazpacho.

Ingredients (serves 4)

  • 100 g raw almonds
  • 75 g toasted almonds (or raw almonds toasted in a pan until golden)
  • 75 g fried almonds (or raw almonds fried in a pan with oil)
  • 150 g bread crumb (the soft inside of a 'telera'-type loaf)
  • 90 g Picual extra virgin olive oil
  • 400 ml water
  • 10 g garlic (a small piece)
  • 10 g salt
  • 30 g aged (reserva) vinegar

  • 60 g peeled Granny Smith apple

Method

Chop the garlic into large pieces and soak it in water with vinegar to soften its strength; about 10 minutes will be enough.

Peel the apple and put it in a blender with the bread, salt, garlic, vinegar and almonds.

Blend briefly, then at minimum speed add the oil little by little so it emulsifies like a mayonnaise. Add the water (400 ml) until you get a cream.

Let the mazamorra rest in the fridge so it chills and the flavours blend well, ideally overnight.

You can serve it with chopped hard-boiled egg, black olives, fried bread, salted almonds, raisins, diced ham or whatever you like.

🌐 Llegeix aquesta recepta en català

Comentaris